Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2019

What He Sees


When I was 18 my dad wrote me a letter.
He said he loved me.
I’m “blossoming as a rose”.
He thinks I’m talented? 
He said I had a lovely voice. 
That one’s funny. 
I’m not perfect, but I’m so much closer to it from his view.
Just once, I wish I could see what he sees.

When I was 21 Cory told me he loved me.
He didn’t know it, but we were about to break up.
There was a song with a line that said, “She don’t know she’s beautiful.”
He would sing this extra loud in my general direction.
“Though time and time I told her so.”
He took me back after the breakup.
He knows I’m not perfect, but he treats me as if I were.
I have highs.  I have lows.
I have more lows.
I blame him for stuff he doesn’t do.
He smiles and hugs me.
How does he stand it?
“Because you’re awesome,” he says.
What?
Just once, I wish I could see what he sees.

A couple of months ago God told me he loved me.
Like, really, really loved me.
Why am I surprised?
It’s God, after all.
I just don’t see it.
I’ve done some stuff for that guy. 
Crazy stuff.
Hard stuff.
Funny stuff.
Faith-challenging stuff.
Faith-promoting stuff.
But what HE has done for ME?
Me.
The crazy chick in the cul-de-sac who drinks too much Dr. Pepper and thinks too many critical thoughts and doesn’t know how to do anything the world values as relevant and can’t do a cartwheel and spends too much at Target and has never had a career and once followed Pierce Brosnan down the street and wore overalls in a TV commercial and set off a secret mall alarm and lied to my parents about not playing with a Ouija board and had a childhood friend who went by the nickname “The Golden Unicorn” and kissed Mark Marean behind our garage in the second grade.
He thinks I’m amazing.
What?
I don’t get it.
I’m glad he told me.  That was something. 
But I wish I could see it.
Just once, I’d love to see what he sees.

2 comments:

seamomjenny said...

I sometimes tell my kids that I wish they could see themselves the way I see them. Then I have to remember that my Heavenly Father probably says that same thing to me...He wishes I could see myself like He does. I'm working on that...
Thanks for sharing!

Lily Allen said...

Lovely blog. Thanks for sharing with us.This is so useful.
clipping path service