Pages

Monday, October 17, 2016

I Don't Know About You, But I'm Feeling 82

I went to take care of some business at my local bank.  The friendly bank teller asked me, "How was your weekend?"  I stared back at her and said, "I wish I could remember that far back!"

I was invited to hike a 14-er (for you non-Coloradans that's code for a 14,000 ft mountain peak) and I replied, "I don't think my knee can take it."

There are hormone pills, iron deficiency meds and vitamin D supplements in my cabinet, I have an assortment of creams trying to address my childhood in the sun, and I even went off dairy/sugar/flour/all things bright and beautiful for a whole month trying to reduce my cholesterol.  It worked.  I celebrated with dairy/sugar/flour/all things bright and beautiful for the NEXT 30 days.  So maybe the point wasn't to improve my cholesterol so much as make me empathize with alcoholics who come out of rehab and immediately toast their sobriety with a beer. 

The point is, I'm feeling really old, you guys.  I knew it would happen, I just didn't expect it to be so soon.  At 45 my mom had a toddler and two kids in elementary school, but I'm shuffling around my house trying to make sure I don't mistake cool whip for eye cream.  How much longer before I accidentally frost those cupcakes with Preparation-H?  NOBODY KNOWS.  I've already been known to hit up Texas Roadhouse for their early bird special so anything is possible.

In other news, I would like to update since the last post.  It's been 10 months, it's the least I can do.  I didn't think anyone would notice because reducing writing to once a year doesn't tend to draw an audience.  However, I have had a few emails requesting an update so this is for you.  Long story short:  all is well.  Short story long:  On the weekend that my daughter was leaving for her mission my son was two weeks into a very puzzling set of symptoms.  We had been in/out of various doctor's offices but the day before Samantha's farewell we were called into urgent care (that's right, THEY called US) because he had alarming results to the blood test taken the day before.  At 10am they told me they were worried that his symptoms were pointing to leukemia.  They drew more blood, put a rush on the test results and told us we should hear back by the end of the day.  When we got in the car Drew tried to remain calm and asked, "Mom, if I have cancer can I finally get a dog?"  It was funny/not funny.  When my phone rang at 5:30pm the buzz of nervous energy surrounding our visiting family went radio silent as they watched and listened for my response as I talked to the doctor.  Results were back to normal.  I repeated it out loud as I nodded to my family in the other room, everyone exhaled, and we went back to focusing on sending Samantha off in style.  Cactus coolers all around!

Samantha has been serving as a full-time missionary for Jesus Christ for 8 months already.  We receive weekly emails, and we got to Skype with her for about an hour on Mother's Day.  We look forward to being able to do that again on Christmas, but otherwise we only hear from her via email once a week.  Sometimes I have dreams that I am hugging her.  Only 10 more months.  I'm already planning her homecoming party.  I'm thinking...cupcakes?  I know I have some frosting in a drawer somewhere....


7 comments:

Mitch said...

So glad to have a sister named Vern back in action. Can't wait for the Preparation H pancakes. Okay if I just sit on mine?

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Well that was a delightful read. Age.........it's not a glorious thing.
Sorry you feel 82, but on the positive side, you only look like you're 29. So there's that.

Glad on is well on the family front. Having a daughter missionary has got to be so wonderful. Thanks for the update on your life.

Bakeshow said...

Well that was stressful. But I'm glad all is well. I've missed you! No one blogs anymore!

seamomjenny said...

So happy to read your post...you left us hanging for a while! Glad your son is doing okay and that your daughter is well, too. Mine comes home next August and I'm already planning her first week of meals back with us! It's a hard, wonderful thing!

Unknown said...

Oh, my, I have missed you! How about doing this again in a year or so?

Unknown said...

Actually, this is Dawn Hardison, but apparently this identity checker doesn't know that, and won't let me change it to my email! I have too much to do and too little time left in my life to mess with computer identities! So I'll just clutter up your comment box, and tell you I am glad to know Drew is OK - have spent a lot of time worrying about him, and said a few prayers for him along the way. Some of them may have been Hail Marys, but I figure, in a pinch, an LDS family will take a good prayer from a Catholic!

janosik said...

I want to use this little time before i live for for work to recommend the right company you can take out a loan from here in the US or any part of the world(NEW AMERICAN FUNDING)i got my loan of $15,000 from NEW AMERICA FUNDING COMPANY without upfront fee if you need a loan you can email them here for a loan here on Email: crown_technology@yahoo.com OR Whatsapp: +12134218707