Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Friday Night Fights

I've been stuck at home all day, so I wanted to get out and do something tonight. Cory was gone, so it was just the kids and I. I suggested bowling; Samantha shouted "Yes!" Drew groaned, "Do we haaaave to?" I announced Chipotle for dinner; Samantha placed her order and Drew begged to stay in the car while we went in. I made him get out, he pouted through the line and walked like he had ten pound weights in each shoe.

After getting home I called the bowling alley but there was a long wait. Instead I made the kids turn off all electronic/video game related devices and threw out suggestions of board games. They called all their friends to tell them what a fun mom they had Drew said he just wanted to read his book, then Samantha announced that she wanted to play her flute, after which Drew changed his mind about the sitting still quietly while indulging in positive brain activity thing and decided instead to burp the alphabet in her ear while she played. She LOVED that. I made him stop, so he switched over to another game called Put The Thin Mint Cookie Across The Front Of Your Teeth And Pretend To Be A Gorilla. I lectured Drew on the concept of personal space, and again he reacted with the calling of all his friends to discuss how wise his mom can be. I approached bedtime with bribery: "get it done in 3 minutes and you can play Nintendo DS in bed." With lightning speed they ascended the stairs as if I just barely started speaking a language they could understand.

I never did get out. Thank goodness we have plans for tomorrow.

5 comments:

Randi said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Ditto here. Only we have no plans for today OR THE REST OF OUR 4 DAY WEEKEND. (Thank-you Jefferson County Schools)

Anonymous said...

Love those kids! Do you think they TRY to drive us crazy, or it jut comes naturally.

Kerri said...

I, on the other hand, desperately need a few days with nothing to do (and had a nice 3 hour nap today after doing Girl Scout cookie booth sales all morning *sigh*). But I hear ya - been there. It can only get better, right?

Mom of Three said...

Hopefully you will get out today! We should have planned something...I just won't tell the kids that yours are off too!

Vern said...

yeah well, Samantha's sick so it doesn't look good!