Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

I probably shouldn't tell you this but my brother-in-law still does blue darts

 
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.  
~ George Burns

We enjoyed not one, but two family reunions this summer; one in San Diego (my peeps) and the other in Southwest Colorado (Cory’s peeps).  We had a brilliant time in both places (she said in her best Hugh Grant voice) and we didn’t want to come home.  Drew was in heaven with his paternal roots where gas is passed freely and without apology, not to mention it was his first year of eligibility to ride the 4-wheelers solo.  Samantha took naturally to the horses and both were enamored with Grandpa and Grandma’s newest acquisition: a dog.  I would tell you his name but dog lover that I am (not) I can’t remember it.  The kids tried to use this as an opportunity to impose guilt upon me and my anti-animal sensibilities (“Everyone has a dog but us, even Grandma and Grandpa!”), but as far as I’m concerned I’m the hero here.  See, I promised I would drive them to see that dog every single summer, which is just like having a dog if you pretend that you have to board it for 51 weeks a year while you travel for business.  They think I’m totally uncool but the joke’s on them, because “cool” in the Vern dictionary is defined as “doesn’t have to pay vet bills, clean up poop, or vacuum dog hair from the stairs.”  It’s all relative.

As for San Diego, well, I got off the plane, breathed in the air and said, “Ah, I’m home.”  We toured the Star of India, walked the San Diego Harbor, and had Cheerios and fresh fruit every day on my parents’ deck.  When I wasn’t fantasizing about how to retire there I watched various family members scale the inflatable waterslide that my mom and dad rented or inhaled a chocolate raised creation from Peterson’s Donut Corner.  Sheer joy.  Best quote of the week from that trip came from my brother Greg:  “I don’t want to live in a world where you can’t ride poodles naked.”  HA HA HA!  Oh.  I guess you had to be there.  Anyway, I put some pictures together and compiled a musical slide show for the three people that are interested in looking at that.  My in-laws will be wondering why there are four hundred pictures showcasing California and five highlighting Colorado; my response can be summed up in one word:  Vanessa.  Next time I will invite her to the other reunion too so we can have equal representation.  The free gas passing alone seems like enticement enough.  Vanessa, you in?


11 comments:

Mom of Three said...

Just catching up, but it seems like you had a great summer!

Lorie said...

I think you should be tured in to authorieties for not getting your kids a dog. It's a crime, really. :)

ganelle said...

It's so convenient that Dave is allegric to pets. The conversation is very quick in our home. Yay for allergies!!!

ganelle said...

It's so convenient that Dave is allegric to pets. The conversation is very quick in our home. Yay for allergies!!!

Vennesa said...

My MTC companion, from Colorado Springs, showed me the finer points of blue-darting while in the MTC. Must be a Colorado thing.

anitamombanita said...

My two faves - your mom and dad dancing (it's such a classic shot of who they are) and you and your sibs all together with them. Loved it. Made me feel like home! ;) (and what part of not being a cake-eater did you not get? ice cream, yes, all day and night, but cake, not so much...LOL)

Stefani said...

Oh man! Quotes like that are what makes vacations great, and memorable. I've started a notebook (well it's on my iPhone now) to remember strange and random quotes and their origins.

Vanessa said...

Kris....I'm totally in. Just make sure you tally in the babysitting for my children (at home) and plenty of breaks for me to ride off into the sunset on a horse. My demands are small so let me know when I should book the flight. By the way....do we know if Mitch ever found the naked bum poodle picture??

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Great quote! Looks like you had a blast in your old home town. Did you get over to Roberto's?

I can't imagine not having a dog but I have a friend who said she'd never have one. Finally her kids wore her down so she took them to the pound and talked them into choosing the oldest most decrepit dog there by telling them he'd be put down if they didn't adopt him. Her reasoning. He'd die in a year or two, she would have given her kids a dog and everybody would live happily ever after. Except the dog and like I said, he died in a year but had a great life until then. Oh the memories. Somehow I knew you would appreciate this story. Happy last weekend of summer!

Heather said...

I have always wanted to see a blue dart... Glad you had a great time!

Ria said...

I must say you and your brothers prepared me for my three boys.