Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Friend or foe? You decide.

You know how in elementary school it was the kid who gave you the most grief that supposedly liked you the most? Is that also true for adults?

Friday night our church had a fundraising activity to help the youth earn money for their summer camps. We paid to get in, paid to play games and do activities, and then auctioned off all the donated desserts that people brought. A dozen cinnamon rolls went for $120. I watched a guy pay $110 to buy back the cake that his WIFE brought! Crazy.

Then in the corner of the room were three jars with three different names on it. I was one of them. Throughout the night people could put money in the jars, and the one with the most money in the end would get a pie in the face. (You see where this is going?) Our friend Erik was also one of the three contenders, and every time someone put a dollar in his jar, he put a dollar in mine. The Bishop saw my jar and shoved a $20 in it. When they tallied the end results and ruled me as the "winner", they added, "Let's just say it wasn't close." THEN they auctioned off the opportunity to be the one to throw the pie in my face, and raised another chunk of cash.

I can't decide whether this scenario represents a congregation of Kristy haters who have been dying for a chance like this, or if it's more like that 2nd grade mentality where the one getting picked on might actually be liked by the class. Either way, I got a pie in the face and I think the people enjoyed it. And if that doesn't pay for Samantha's summer camp, I quit.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had our YW camp fundraiser last night, too. We spent way too much money, but at least we got some planted pots and an hour of backhoe work out of it. We also donated a clown party, two tickets to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert and an hour of computer services. I think those Young Women have PLENTY of money for camp.

And maybe they were all rooting for the pie in your face because they know you are leaving soon, and they won't have to look at you every week at church and feel guilty for paying to throw a pie in your face.

Tin said...

We didn't have a YW fundraiser. The parents just simply had to pay for camp. I personally think foe. The ward is use to Kristy being crowned the Jello queen while smiling. They knew you would take it with a smile on your face.

Heather said...

Sounds like they LOVE you!

Rachey said...

I'm confident that its a result of group adoration for you.

Anonymous said...

They also might realize that you are an awesome person with the kind of humor that every one wished they had.

Boliver

Anonymous said...

When I was in Young Women we went to show tappings in LA. Like Wheel of Fortune and stupid shows that never lasted more then 5 episodes. We earned money by laughing and clapping. Sorry Kristy but I do prefer that option to the pie in the face.

Boliver

Kerri said...

Oh, I can't believe I missed that! But I'm sure that money was donated and the pie thrown with nothing but fondness for you.

Lorie said...

Oh how I wish I was there! Who bought the $110 cake? My guess... either the Ranisates or the Youngs... I can't decide which.

kacy faulconer said...

Did it hurt?

Randi said...

It sorta sounds like an epitaph:

They loved me enough to throw pies at me.

Mom of Three said...

All I want to know is where are the pictures? It is 100% pure devotion and remorse that they are losing you!

ganelle said...

Can I throw a pie at you too? I'll even throw in a few bucks for Sam's camp...

Britni said...

You know honestly this sounds like one of the best ideas I've ever heard about for a fundraiser... especially if people have some extra money to donate. It at least gives people something for their money so they're normally more likely to donate more. Our YW had a car wash and I don't think it went over too well.