Pages

Friday, May 9, 2008

Under Contract

Apparently it's supposed to be really hard to sell a house in this market, yet somehow, in less than a week we have found a buyer for our home. We have been negotiating for a couple of days, and today we are officially under contract. I think I'm supposed to be excited, but instead I'm feeling really close to streaking through my neighborhood to relieve stress. Plus, that would help my neighbors cope with my leaving. Trust me, they are all broken up about it.

The annoying thing about selling our home, however, is this nagging feeling that perhaps I should hurry and find another one. From what I hear this isn't supposed to be very hard. I can even look at homes from home! I can conduct searches by simply typing in square footage or a neighborhood or even a zip code and find hundreds of homes for sale. I can go to zillow.com and see aerial views, select the panoramic photographs and take a virtual tour, and check the family watch dog site to make sure there are no registered sex offenders on my block. Incredible friends to the realtors, these websites.

Still, I would find it helpful if they would add options to conduct a search on neighbors who will let you borrow eggs, addresses for people who make bread for a living and constantly bring you leftovers, and links to housing developments where Brad Pitt look-alikes roam the streets with their lawnmower, in search of opportunities to mow people's lawns for free. With their shirts off. House hunting should be awesome.

14 comments:

Kerri said...

Oh my gosh! Already! So how soon does that mean you guys are outta here? I at least thought it would be a month or two into summer. I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms....

Vern said...

we'll be closing mid-June. If we find a house in the next week, we'll be able to do a one shot move. If not, I guess we'll have to do the apartment thing for a while. Either way, I'm freaking out!

Mom of Three said...

As much as you are stressed, think of how nice it will be to have your house to yourself again. At least you won't have to hang out on the street when people come to look at your house. Remember to think "south" in your search for a new one!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who interview several potential neighbors before deciding on her house (in my neighborhood, thank you very much). She asked, "How big is your primary?"
"Where's the school?"
"What do you think of the teachers?"
"How big is the ward?" and things like that. You might could just show up at people's houses and say, "I'm looking at the house next door. Could I use your bathroom?" Anyone who would let you use their bathroom would certainly lend you eggs, right?

Rachel said...

I think I'm supposed to say "Congratulations" but really I'm kind of thinking the exact opposite about this whole plan of yours.

Congratulations... :(

Martha said...

And is there a child in da house pretty proud of his quick cash deal with the realtor?

Wonder if you worked it out per cleaning, how much he got paid?

Seriously, congrats on the contract...hopefully all will proceed according to plan....and good luck shopping for a new house (if Brad Pitt's look alike is the neighborhood lawn boy, would you give him my number? Thanks!)

ganelle said...

I'm feeling SOOO validated about now. All those times you asked me "Aren't you excited?" or said "How fun!" are coming back to bite you! Ha ha!!!

PS I'm with mom of 3, -think south!

Randi said...

I'll totally lend you eggs. And there's a house right up the street for sale, too!

Congrats!

Tin said...

If you feel like moving this way, there are lots of guys who run with their shirts off. I am more than willing to let you borrow sugar and eggs. And I promise our dog does not bark at 7:00 in the morning and if he does Kristin goes out in her p.j.'s and hollers at the poor dog. Good luck in your house hunt. I know from experience it at times can be discouraging, until the right one falls into your lap.

Rachey said...

Wow, congratulations! Thats awesome. Will you be staying in Aurora?

Dodi said...

Did Ganelle sprinkle some of her magic-quick-sell-fairy-dust on your house??? How on earth is it that you two are the only people in the state able to sell your homes that quickly?????

Congratulations! You should have no problem finding everything you want in a new neighborhood - it's a buyer's market I hear. (Oh, but you might want to give a second thought to the shirtless lawn mowers. SOME of them might look like Brad Pitt... some of them might look like Nick Nolte. EWWWW!)

Lorie said...

AMAZING! I told you you had a great house. That's exciting but sad.. hope you can get through w/o therapy. Sounds like you've been watching a little too much "Desperate Houswives".

Anonymous said...

Congrats - Boliver

talitha said...

Ok, my vote is for you and yours to come into our ward/schools/neighborhood.

I've determined that even if it turns out I lied about how great it is here, when you called me to chew me out about it you'd be really funny and possibly even swear...and I'd get a kick out of that.

Then they'd call us both to be in YW or something. Cause Heavenly Father has a strange sense of humor.