Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Would You Buy A Milkshake From A Llama?

A few weekend highlights:

#1: We went camping this weekend and en route through the mountains I saw a restaurant tucked in a strip mall called the “Angry Llama Diner”. Intrigued? So was I. Not enough to stop and try their food, but enough to google “llamas” just to see if I could find out what an angry llama would look like. Here’s one:


I’m not sure whose marketing idea it was to name this restaurant, but would YOU trust this dude to flip your burger or cut your fries? Me neither. I would, however, trust him to gather his friends and line up along southern California and help us secure our borders.

Here’s a happier llama:


Don’t you wonder how they got him to smile like that? It’s like he heard the Emperor was in search of a new groove and he’s waiting for his casting call. (How do I know it’s a “He”? Just a hunch.)

This llama, on the other hand, looks like a Charro wannabe with depression. Either that or her mom made her dress up for Halloween and she’s bitter that she didn’t get to be a princess. I’d be ticked off too. (How do I know it’s a “she”? Boy llamas don’t wear pink. Duh.)


#2: While filling out the paperwork for Scout Camp Drew peered over my shoulder and saw the line that read: “SEX ______”. He freaked out and gasped, “What the…?!” “Dude!” I replied. “Calm down, it’s not a yes or no question!”

#3: For Family Night tonight we decided to watch “Phineas & Ferb” and pause the show whenever we extracted a moral message. It took mere seconds before Candace launched into all of her inadequacies while comparing herself to a friend and I yelled, “Pause!” Cory hit the button on the remote and I said, “Thou shalt not covet!” Everyone nodded in agreement, and we resumed “Play”. Seconds later there was mention of a wedgie when Drew yelled, “Pause!” Cory obeyed, and Drew explained, “Never give a person a wedgie.” Unconvinced of its validity I probed, “What’s the moral message in not giving someone a wedgie?” “Because,” Drew said, “it’s just…WRONG.” Good enough.

In other news, we leave shortly for a two week road trip through Idaho, Yellowstone National Park, and Montana. Any road trip food suggestions?

21 comments:

Boulter trouble said...

Going to Island Park?
Love Island Park!!

ganelle said...

Phineas and Ferb for FHE? Pure genius!

Stefani said...

We have a lady in our ward that raises Alpacas. She gets highly offended if you call them llamas. I don't think I could tell the difference between the 2 if I tried. And I wouldn't like either one of them to be angry with me.

I like the advice about wedgies. I'll have to pass it along.

rocslinger said...

Very funny, thanks for the laugh but I may never get that angry llama out of my head.

just call me jo said...

Say "hey" to Idaho for me when you pass through. Costco has some killer tropical dried fruit and nut mix and also some nut mixture square thingies that RS bought me when we moved. I almost bloated. I don't associate llamas with any kind of dining. No, I don't!

Anonymous said...

Phineus and Ferb for Family Home Evening! Brilliant! I love that show.

Jen said...

I luuuuuv your comment about Drew and the Scout form....the more I read your blog, the more I think that your kid and mine must be kindred spirits....upon recently asking my 11yr old about a state mandated HIV class he had to receive at school, I asked if they discussed HOW you could get HIV and I mentioned the unmentionable S-E-X word....my son replied with "Mooooommmmmmmm.....*DeepSigh*...it starts with a Y, ends with and S and has an E in the middle...Sheesh! Now can we talk about something else?"

Amy said...

cornnuts, pringles, licorice, wheat thins WITH easy cheese (sorry....it's necessary)

or if you're still on that "healthiness kick" apples, bananas, string cheese, nectarines, peaches, dried pears, plumbs, apple chips, celery, carrots, graham crackers and nutella (wait...how'd that get in there?)

also, please write a book about how to have a successful FHE. Please?

Mom and Camera said...

If Greg reads this post, I am sure that our next FHE will include Phineas and Ferb! It is one of the few Disney shows that doesn't drive me absolutely insane. If I suggested it, my children would probably fall over from sheer SHOCK. Wait! I love to shock them! Thanks for the new FHE idea!

mormonhermitmom said...

AAAH! I'm glad the llama in the field behind us doesn't have those kind of teeth.

Susie J. said...

I don't know how your kids are about begging to stop at McD's every 28 seconds, but mine are AWFUL about it. For our road trips I've put together a "snack system". I put one shoe-box sized plastic tote in the back seat with all their snacks for the day (or half-day, if we're going a huge distance) and when it's gone, it's gone. I don't care who eats what, or in what order. They can gobble it down or savor it... but when it's gone I'm not refilling it until the next regularly scheduled refill. In the luggage area, in a larger tote, I keep the supply of snacks with which to refill each day.
Licorice, pringles single servings, snack-size baggies of crackers/raisins/goldfish/etc, boxes of triscuits, granola bars, fruit snacks, trail mix...
Everyone gets their own water bottle (clearly labeled), which we refill at rest stops or what-have-you. Nobody gets soda except if we stop for a meal somewhere, because it just make them hyper and more dehydrated... which is not the combo you need when you're stuck in a van for 12 hours with 4 young kids.

kjha said...

I'm currently packing for such a trip and today we took out all of the pretzels from 2 bags of gardettos so we can eat them in their pure form. We also take fruit loops, vanilla wafers, and whoppers. Hope they don't melt.

Becky Bailey said...

Just make sure you're headed to Yellowstone and not Yosemite! Have Cory navigate... and drive! And it wouldn't hurt to take some monster cookies from Whole Foods! You will love them and so will any angry animals you may come across. Have a great time!

Jillybean said...

We invite my mom to come with us on road trips and she always manages to provide the snack food, usually tons of sugar laden stuff which she gives the kids freely.
This is why the kids like grandma more than us.
This is also why grandma gets to ride in the back with the hyper kids.

Jillybean said...

And I think I'll be having nightmares from that first llama picture.

Thanks.

Jill said...

My gospel doctrine teacher compared Saul to Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz this week. Gotta love Phineas and Ferb.

Vern said...

susie j. - I fantasize about being organized like you

becky bailey - good advice!

the5firds said...

Lou has your musical number next Phineas and Ferb FHE!

Kerri said...

Rachel and I just did the road trip down to TX and I can say: chips, chips and more chips. Just kidding. We had cherries, sliced cucumbers, graham crackers, cheese sticks and lots of water (and a little soda for me since she doesn't like it). I also took some cottage cheese in the regular size (which I actually consider small) and ate that when I really wanted something filling but I know that's not to everyone's (anyone's?) taste.
Have a safe trip!!

Mom of Three said...

Sounds like you have been having some fun! We always stock up on water and nuts. It keeps you regular and hydrated. Better than the caffeine and sugar headaches we used to get. Have fun on your trip!

AlyD said...

Shared a similar experience while filling out a scout camp form with my son. . . hah!