Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

iLove

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we here at Casa de Vern are technologically handicapped.  The kids at the bus stop have cooler cell phones and fancier gadgets than I do, and as long as we have been on the planet we’ve been at least a couple of years behind everyone else when it comes to the latest and greatest stuff.  A few years ago we were visiting some friends and they asked, “Hey, do you wanna see our new Blu Ray?”  “Sure!” I answered and thought to myself, that must be SOME aquarium, but then he headed for the entertainment center to start pushing buttons and I felt confused.  Quite honestly, not all technology excites me.  I still hate automatic faucets and drinking fountains because they never detect me to be in the right place at the right time, and there’s nothing more humiliating than bending over a drinking fountain with your mouth open and tongue hanging out, hoping against hope that your mouth and the water will meet amicably. 

Nevertheless, ever since sitting next to a chatty gentleman on an airplane and his showing me how he could color tint photos on his iPhone, I knew that the iPhone and I were meant to be together.  But they are expensive, and require different data plans and providers, and we weren’t ready to make the commitment.  (It’s not you, iPhone, it’s me.)  BUT.  Things change.  People change.  And when things AND people change at the same time one finds herself in the Verizon store pointing at the shiny thing behind the glass while clutching her checkbook and saying, “Can I have THAT one?”  And the guy behind the counter is incredibly accommodating and patient because he gets commission, and he tries to answer all the lady’s questions.
“So, how do I know if I want the 16 gig or 32 gig?”
“Well, what do you plan to use it for?”
“Um, well I’m hoping to call people on it.  And I’m very much looking forward to not having to press the 7 three times every time I have to text an ‘r’.  Also, I hear there are some angry birds that may be able to entertain me if I’m ever stuck in an airport.”
“Do you plan to set up any hot spots?”
“Hot spots?  You mean like Ft. Lauderdale?”
“I think you’ll be fine with the 16 gig.”

Cory bought me one for Valentine’s Day, and while our relationship is still new (mine and the phone’s, not mine and Cory’s – because hello, almost 18 years folks) I think we’re going to have a long and happy life together.  And that goes for Cory too.

13 comments:

just call me jo said...

I hope you and ifellow will be very happy together. My husband has an EVO or something droidy. I can't even answer the dang thing (and he barely can.) He's had to go in once for them to take off a box of Bostich staples as his screen saver. He was just looking at them on a tool site and they appeared on his screen. Now he has a daisy. (Doesn't know how to get it off, so he must defend it's manly qualities to the guys.) Sigh! That's all I want a phone to do too--make calls and text--basically. My grandsons think I'm lame because mine has no good games.

Heather said...

My husband is dreaming of a EVO, I myself cannot handle the extra data plan per month (but then I cannot even bring myself to splurge on the yummy dried mango's from Costco)... I am glad you got your new relationship for Valentines, how fitting!

anitamombanita said...

Just be sure that when Cory comes calling that you give him top rating over your new iLove! And what?! No color tinted photos on your blog, yet?! C'mon, let's get going here!

Jill said...

I am so happy your rocky history with Valentines day is over.

jksfam said...

“I think you’ll be fine with the 16 gig.” - too funny! :)

mormonhermitmom said...

"angry birds"? What are these angry birds of which you speak.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Now use your IPhone to vote for me so I can win a new car, pretty please???? Go here, http://fox13now.upickem.net/engine/Votes.aspx?PageType=VOTING&incrementnumber=1&c=25987, click on amazing mazda, then vote for me.

I'll bet you can do it right from your phone, right?

ganelle said...

So jealous! As much as I love my itouch, you are gonna love the iPhone even more. Yeah you!

kacy faulconer said...

We can play words with friends now. It's scrabble!

~j. said...

I don't know what a gig is.

Mom and Camera said...

My iPhone and I are in love! I originally told Greg to talk to some of his "hook-ups" and just find me something that didn't have the address book filed deep in the menus of the phone! I also thought some kind of keyboard would be nice since I am over 35 and have never quite mastered texting from a number keypad. The result was the iPhone. All my dreams came true and we've been living together happily for the last 18 months!

We aren't "exclusive" though! My children are also madly in love since they can now take and cross-process hundreds of photos of themselves and their Barbies with a swipe of their finger! And my 2 year-old has a mad crush on those Angry Birds of which you speak! Sometimes the separation pains are grueling!

Enjoy getting to know the new love in your life. And tell Cory and the kids hello, too!

Tim said...

I'm jealous! Wasn't it not that long ago that we were talking about how our husbands won't spend money on the big day?! Mine is still holding true to his word. What did you do to change Cory's mind?

Tim said...

~just realized I posted under Tim's name...hehehe, how ironic is that?!