Pages

Friday, April 18, 2008

I'm not TOTALLY dispensable. She still can't drive.

It's really been pretty hectic around here lately. As the rumors have indicated, we are planning to sell our house this summer, which means we are trying to get it ready to list in a couple of weeks. Hence all the posting about my home improvement woes. [Digression: One of my friends showed up at my door last night with homemade cinnamon bread on a piece of tile that said, "Sorry about all your tile woes". The bread was still warm, the frosting was a-plenty, and I'm all better now. How freakin' awesome are my friends???] Just think how lucky you are that I wasn't blogging when we were finishing our basement.

So yesterday, I got sick. The kind of sick where taking a shower is just preparation for a nap. But it wasn't the kind of day I could dedicate to naps and Sudafed because my in-laws and parents were both coming into town for Drew's baptism, which is Saturday. I made several compromises as to the state of my home upon their arrival, and luckily they are all ridiculously accommodating.

In summary: house in total disarray? check. company coming to serve as witnesses of our true ineptitude? check. no food for them to eat? check. sick? unable to breathe but for the magic of certain pills? check. kids getting to bed right on time at about the time the werewolves come out? check. But they did finally get to bed, and when I went to bid them a final goodnight, Samantha asked, "Hey Mom? How about if I just take the extra alarm clock and I'll get Drew up in the morning so you can sleep longer?" I said she was incredibly sweet, but that wasn't necessary. "Well, it's just that when I'm sick you take extra good care of me, but who's going to take care of YOU?" I gave her the alarm clock, she woke me when it was time to go, and we have never had a morning run more smoothly. I'd like to focus on the positive here, which is that my kid is awesome, and not the fact that she's basically a driver's license away from not needing me at all. Work with me.

6 comments:

Rachey said...

I love that! I don't think I came to that realization about my mom until I was about 20. And then it just hit me, someone needs to take care of mom sometimes! Obviously Samantha is way more mature than I was at 14.

Heather said...

Well, take some credit. She must have learned all that sweetness from someone.

Lorie said...

I call to adopt Samantha if you and Cory die!

Anonymous said...

Just put my mom to work. She was just at Shay's house and when I called she was "deep cleaning" my sister's kitchen. After your house and some time in Paradox, she will then come to my house and probably clean because lets face it, the cleaning gene has skipped a generation. So I only think it is far that you get some cleaning time.

Boliver

Kerri said...

I wouldn't have expected anything less from your girl. I'm sure that's where Rachel learned her breakfast in bed for mom and dad trick.

Vanessa said...

I wish 4 year olds did that....safely. The other day I found that Amy had been "removed" from her crib. She was quite happy about it despite the red scratches on her shoulders from Jamison trying to yank her out. When I went into the room I found two stools stacked on one another.....all so I could finish my book. Now do I win "bad mother of the week" award or what?