Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

In case you haven't heard, I'm a pretty big deal around here


Yesterday I made penguin cupcakes to deliver to Drew’s classroom for his birthday. Here’s where you should take notes, because if you are ever feeling like you are not that cool, bring treats to your kid’s elementary school class. Birthday or no birthday, this will do wonders for your spirits. I walked in mid-math, the teacher stopped, had the class put down their pencils and greet me in unison with, “Hellooo Mrs. Steele!” I returned their greeting and stepped through the aisles where kids I knew whispered to their neighbor, “I know her!” while animatedly waving their arms at me. Others who desperately wanted to share in the popularity contest would grasp at straws to say something like, “Hey! You were there at the same time as MY conference!” [nudging her friend to make sure she heard clearly, I’m SERIOUS! She was THERE!] It was highly amusing. I was the talk on the playground – I went out to tell Drew goodbye and he and his friends were standing in a circle devouring their treat and when they saw me they came running up to declare that I made the best cupcakes EVER. When I picked up Drew up from school, he got in the car and declared with pride and a grin that his friends Keaton and David said I was a really good cooker. I may not hold a candle to my friend Heather here, but the 2nd graders don't know that.

Seriously, you should try it. Eight-year-old kids is where it’s at.

9 comments:

Heather said...

Seriously, it's not just the 8-year olds... I'm droppin your name all over town too!

Rachel said...

those cupcakes look awesome! I wish I was in Drew's class...

Rachel said...

You're the coolest Mom ever. Those cupcakes are amazing!

Rachey said...

You are so creative! Those cupcakes look awesome!

Britni said...

Those cupcakes look amazing. Yum!

Randi said...

OK 8 year olds. Good Tip! Cause there are days...

ganelle said...

Feed me somthing chocolate, and I'll act like you're cool too. Really.

Anonymous said...

impressive!!!!!

Bol

Anonymous said...

Our school has a "No homemade treats" policy. So we can't take in homemade cupcakes. Which is good, because I would be the cool mom taking in really cool treats, just like you.