Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Lightbulb moment

In addition to visiting for Drew’s baptism, my parents and in-laws worked tirelessly to help us with a few projects around the house. One of them was installing some new lights. During the installation of our entryway light, we recognized that our 6' ladder wasn’t big enough to reach the high ceiling where the light connects. We called several people to see what we might be able to borrow, but everyone had about the same thing we did. My mom jokingly suggested pulling over my dining room table and putting the ladder on it at which point my dad’s eyes lit up with enthusiasm.

For real.

“Hey, that could work!” he piped. This was my cue to take the phone to the garage and call my sister to explain the scenario. “So mom said…and then dad was like, ‘excellent!’ and I’m like, ‘OR, not excellent!’” At this point my sister said, “What are you doing talking to ME? YOU GOTTA GET BACK IN THERE!” But in the time I was gone his enthusiasm had amplified for the increasing probability of landing himself either six feet under or in the Redneck Hall of Fame, so I ran to the neighbor across the street to see if she could please have a very tall ladder I could borrow before my dad ruined my beautiful dining room table killed himself, but she was all chatty and like, ‘The new paint job on your house looks great! So are you guys moving for sure? We’ve been thinking about it too. So who’s visiting…?’ then Cory ran over and got caught in the fray until he couldn’t hold it any longer and simply interrupted with, ‘Your dad is putting the ladder on four chairs. You might want to hurry back.” It took six adults to install one light, which we managed to do without any physical injuries. Emotional injuries, well, that’s up for debate.

10 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm with the neighbor on this one: are you sure you're moving? :/

Rachey said...

Ha ha. I love my grandpa SOOO much!

Vern said...

rachel: If I say yes, will you still let me read your blog?

Heather said...

Ha, I would have liked to see pictures to accompany this post.

Anonymous said...

at least it wasn't my side of the family.

Boliver

Mom of Three said...

You mean that wouldn't have worked?! So glad that everything worked out.

Anonymous said...

Oh, if I lived close I would have let you borrow our REALLY REALLY tall ladder. Really.

Vanessa said...

The problem here is this: Living in close proximity with one Davis in my own house....well I guess I'm a Davis too but...anyway. And Having Dix and Lynn close by I find myself ocassionally on the same thought process as them. Does this make sense? If it is a crazy idea...and I clearly know some particular idea is insane my thought process still morphs into their train of thought. Kind of like living in the same house as 4 other women and some how everyone's menstrual cycle is in sync. Maybe I am just too easily influenced. I didn't used to be funny. In fact, I was never funny. However...these days I find myself making a joke or two. That part I can deal with but the crazy thought process in solving precarious situations... well... I don't know.

Suzanne said...

So exactly how many relatives did it take to screw in the light bulb?

Randi said...

Oh My Goodness.

Tell me you're moving to Littleton!!