Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My philosophy

It's the age old Philosophy 101 question posed to have us think outside the box of our naive college student minds, and it goes something like, "If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" The first time I heard this question I thought, “Does it matter?” I didn’t much excel at philosophy. Despite that, I’ve asked myself some equally poignant, self reflective and philosophical questions lately. For example, “If a ceiling fan goes unnoticed and unused for over a decade at the top of one’s stairs, does it still collect dust?”

I can declare with authority that the answer is yes. Yes, it does.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah I never got that question either...

ganelle said...

If a man speaks in the woods, and no one is there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Vern said...

yes. yes he is.

Kerri said...

In my mind, I see a vision of you switching on that fan and looking dismayed when the dust shoots all over place. Yes, yes I do.

Suzanne said...

Here's the real question you were asking. Tell me if I've got it straight:

"If a ceiling fan goes 10 years without use, will speculative buyers look high enough up to notice the dust?"